Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Overly sensitive?

I can be overly sensitive. I know that. Ever since I was a little girl. I cry too easily. I get my feelings hurt too quickly. And once something happens, I do not get over it in a timely matter. It's me. And it is something I work on. Regularly.

I have to constantly ask myself in day to day things if I am being overly sensitive. And sometimes, the answer is yes. But there are also alot of times that I think I have permission to take things to heart.


When I take Andrew to the Doctor, they want me to prove that he is mine. They have run my insurance. They have let me know the amount I owe them, which is a good indicator that they know he has been approved as my dependent by my insurance provider. They know he is mine. But they still want to see it on paper. And as an adoptive mom, it offends me. The lady asked me for "custody" papers last week. Custody? I told her that I do not have custody, I have ownership. I told her that she would never ask me to prove on paper that Cates was mine. I try to always speak respectfully, but I am always happy to help enlighten people about fairness.


Another thing that I have to try not to be overly sensitive about is Andrew being a different race than we are. Sometimes people say the most insensitive things. I have to correct them, in love, but correct them. I don't want to be the mom walking around waiting for someone to cross me about my child, but I also want to make sure that I am always working to have people treat my family with respect. Growing up in the south I know that there will always be ignorance, but I hope that people will learn to see each other for who they are on the inside. That's what God sees. Our hearts. He doesn't care if we are tall or short, skinny or fat, red or polka dots. He cares if we love other people. He cares if we are honest. He cares about how much we care.

I want to be sensitive enough that I keep my tender heart. I want to continue to be affected by those in need. I want to continue to desire to help create positive change. But I do not want to be looking to be offended. I do not want to hold on to things that I should let go.

I am trying to find a balance of sensitivity. Bear with me while I learn.

1 little notes:

Kimberly Washer said...

I think we can all work on this and I'll be praying as you work on this in your own life! I love that you have Andrew in your life and you are such a great mommy!!

Post a Comment