Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Diploma.

There are for sure times in my life that I have been much more proud to see those around me achieve, than I would have been for my own personal success.

When my students benchmark in reading. When they can see what working hard for a year can do, that is a moment that I find great joy. When Tim wins awards or is recognized, there is no greater happiness than what I feel for him. When my children reach milestones.. first roll, first word, first step.. great pride.

Last night was one of those days. Tiffany came to live with me when everyone said she shouldn’t. We have endured people’s negative opinions and tried to live better than what people expected. And it has not been easy. Tiffany came to live with us when she was 16. I was 25. Two children that I had deeply and dearly loved had just left. I was lost. And she knew it. No 25 year old is ever ready to raise a 16 year old. I guess we felt like we were as ready as anyone. And it has been a learning experience throughout.

I have had my patience and my will tested. I have been overwhelmed. I have felt like I absolutely would not be able to make it. And I have felt some of the greatest happiness. Teenagers are hard. Teenagers who are not yours are harder. Tiffany has taught me about sticking with someone. About believing in someone when they aren’t yet sure they believe in themselves. Tiffany has taught me about laughing at the little things, and choosing my battles.

She isn’t perfect. We have both endured one another’s mistakes. But she taught me a big lesson, and I want to share it with you.

Tiffany taught me about deciding to achieve. You see a lot of us were raised with both of our parents in pretty houses, and church on Sunday. Most of attended the same school most of our lives, and can associate our childhood memories with the same group of people.

That isn’t Tiffany. Tiffany has lived in nine different homes. She has been raised by a wide variety of people. She calls her siblings on occasion rather than getting to catch up with them at the nightly dinner table. She doesn’t even see her parents every year. There are scattered memories, and a lot people that she must spend a lot of time missing.

But she didn’t sit home and feel sorry for herself. She went to school, and learned. She went to work, and gave it her all. And because of that, when she walked down the field for graduation last night, she did so with honors. She wore Senior Beta Club recognition that certainly never graced my shoulders. She wore Honor Society cords that showed her hard work. Not easy work. Nobody handed it to her. She made a decision to not let where she came from keep her from where she can go. And I take great pride in that. I pray (and I ask you do the same) that she will stay motivated. That she will not let anything hinder her from earthly success, but most importantly that we will enjoy heaven together.

She graduated last night and started college today! Her plate is pretty full! She moves to North Alabama in the fall, but for the summer she will attend classes and work.

Thank you to the people who have supported her (and me!!) in her time in home. Please continue to do so.


“God doesn’t ask about our ability, only our availability; and if we prove our dependability, He will increase our capability.”

0 little notes:

Post a Comment